We specialise in advising clients on domestic and international finance, including all aspects of banking and financial law, financial regulation, restructurings, and capital markets. We particularly focus on supporting our clients in financing renewable energy projects like wind, hydrogen and solar power plants. Additionally, we support our clients in M&A transactions and have proven our expertise on several high profile deals. Our strategic perspective, financial background, and outstanding legal expertise are what our clients value most about our work.
Financing and M&A
Transactions successfully closed
Billion € Financing Deal
Million € M&A Deal Volume
in various Cross-Border
We advise companies and banks on national and cross-border financing transactions and on all aspects of financial regulation. Our scope extends to project finance, in particular in the area of renewable energy, real estate finance, trade and export finance, factoring, securitization, advice on collaterals, and restructurings. In addition, we regularly advise on regulatory matters. Recently, we have advised on the following transactions:
- Advising oekostrom AG and its subsidiaries as well as Erste Bank der österreichischen Sparkassen in connection with the € 38.76 million financing of the repowering of an existing wind farm in Austria
- Advising a major Austrian bank on the restructuring of a project finance transaction in the amount of € 6 million for the expansion of a shopping mall in the Czech Republic
- Advising Windkraft Simonsfeld AG and its subsidiaries as borrowers of € 63,0 million in financing from the European Investment Bank (EIB) and Erste Bank Austria for wind farms in Austria
- Advising an Austrian bank on a loan to an Austrian entrepreneur in the amount of € 10 million to pursue a venture
- Advising an international syndicate of cooperative banks on a cross-border syndicated loan in the amount of € 200 million
- Advising the Austrian subsidiary of an international first-class bank in relation to an export guarantee following the Uniform Rules for Demand Guarantees (URDG) rules of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC)
- Advising an Austrian Bank on several real estate finance transaction in CEE
We advise issuers and banks on all aspects of capital market transactions including equity, hybrid, and debt transactions and on setting up and managing AIFs or investment funds with regard to any transactional or regulatory aspect. Recently, we have advised on the following transactions:
- Advising banks on the € 1 billion Pfandbrief issue by Erste Group Bank AG
- Advising CA-IB, Erste Group, HSBC and UBS as Joint Lead Managers on the issue of a € 400 million tier 2 bond of Volksbank Vienna
- Advising HSBC as Sole Structuring Adviser and Sole Bookrunner on the issue of a € 125 million hybrid bond of PORR
- Advising oekostrom AG as issuer on the first issue of equity in Austria which was placed via crowdinvesting
- Advising Barclays, Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley and UBS as Joint Lead Managers on the issue of a € 500 million additional tier 1 bond of Erste Group
In addition to advising our clients on routine corporate law issues, our firm specialises in assisting clients on M&A transactions in all legal aspects. In recent years, we have been increasingly asked to advise on high profile transactions involving high purchase prices, which are frequently not disclosed. Our track record also includes private equity and venture capital-related transactions. Recently, we have advised on the following transactions:
- Advising the shareholders of the Austrian software company Ranorex on the sale of their shares to US software corporation Idera Inc.
- Advising the shareholders of Loytec Group on the sale of their shares to an Taiwan-based electronics corporation for € 72 million
- Advising a Dutch company on the acquisition of the shares of an Austrian distributorship
- Advising the Polish acquirer Mercury Market on the acquisition of bauMax Czech Republic through an asset deal
- Advising the acquirer of ADLER Real Estate AG before the Austrian Takeover Commission by way of an ex officio review procedure pursuant to § 33 para 1 subsection 2 Austrian Takeover Act (ÜbG) regarding conwert Immobilien Invest SE
We regularly represent clients before the Austrian courts and arbitration panels with a particular focus on banking, finance, and M&A related cases, if litigation is in our client’s best interest. We also advise our clients as debtors or secured or unsecured creditors on restructurings and insolvency proceedings. In addition to advising on Austrian insolvency law, we have extensive experience with cross-border insolvency proceedings. Recently, we have represented clients in court and in out-of-court restructuring transactions as follows:
- Representing a Cayman Islands-based investment fund in a civil suit relating to claims against an Austrian bank regarding a financing transaction in Norway
- Advising VTB bank in the insolvency proceedings regarding Alpine Bau GmbH
- Advising a Russian bank on the sale of a distressed credit portfolio to a distressed hedge fund of Citigroup
- Advising several US-based investment funds in a civil suit against HETA Asset Resolution AG before Austrian courts and the European Court of Justice (ECJ)
Our lawyers are experts in national und cross-border financing and M&A transactions. Publications in the field of financial law, teaching assignments at WU Vienna University of Economics and Business and regular recommendations by international legal directories (Legal 500, Chambers, IFLR 1000) prove our lawyer’s expertise. A large part of our legal team has both a law and a finance degree. We consider ourselves to be our clients‘ long-term partners and are appreciated by our clients for our unconditional reliability, international experience, and outstanding legal work.
Dr. Uwe Rautner, LL.M. (LSE)
Managing Partner / Solicitor of the Senior Courts of England and Wales
Mag. René Semmelweis, LL.M. (WU)
Partner / Lawyer
“As a distressed debt hedge fund that invests across the globe, we deal with lawyers on complex matters every day. We deal with poor, average, good and great lawyers. Rautner falls without a doubt into the ‘great’ category.”
US-based Distressed Debt Fund
We listen closely to what our clients say and understand a transaction’s business context. This is how we develop solutions that fit perfectly with a transaction’s specific requirements.
We have extensive experience in managing cross-border transactions and cooperate routinely with top tier law firms abroad.
Other law firms hide behind extra-long memos. Based on our expertise and thorough reviewing, we have the courage to give clear recommendations.
A close-knit team and a clear focus allow us to provide legal advice to our clients on attractive terms.